cheap veggie gourmet

A blog detailing ways to enjoy a gourmet vegetarian diet on the cheap. Check out recipes, food stories, tips and techniques.

Sunday, May 15, 2005

Random musing: food dehydrator

A generous dumpster-diving friend gave me a huge quantity of bananas the other day that were just outside of the banana bread stage.

Unfortunately, no one in my household really cares for banana bread.

After eating so many that my kids would start to cry when I walked up to them with yet another banana in-hand, I finally broke out the dehydrator.

Instead of doing chips, I cut the bananas in lengthwise slices, kinda like carrot sticks.

They dried in about 24 hours. They were all eaten in about two.

The dehydrator, at least in my household, isn't so much a food-storage aid as it is one to finish stuff up before it goes bad

3 Comments:

At 8:18 AM, Anonymous 404 said...

Oh god do I love banana bread! If you have a good recipe for it do you think I can get it off you? That would totally rock! (matt)

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Lara said...

I don't have a banana bread recipe; however, I do make the world's most kick-ass vegan carrot cake. Maybe I'll post that one later today... I have a feeling that it could probably be adapted a bit to make a banana bread.

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Lara said...

404-

Hey, found a banana bread recipe on Chronicals of a Curious Cook. It's a neat little blog, focused on frugal cooking.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home