cheap veggie gourmet

A blog detailing ways to enjoy a gourmet vegetarian diet on the cheap. Check out recipes, food stories, tips and techniques.

Friday, June 10, 2005

Quick Tip

Everyone, even people who don't garden, should compost. When trash goes to a landfill, it sits in a sealed tank where nothing significantly decays. Archeologists excavate them because everything inside is in such good condition.

So, we all need to do what we can for waste reduction.

I'm kind of a lazy person, though, so having that bucket of vegetable scraps on my counter would be a problem. I simply cannot be counted on to take it out the back & dig it into the heap every day.

When I was down in Miami, I learned a simple trick from the folks at Nokimo house, where I stayed: keep the veggie scraps in a bag in the freezer. That way, when you fall behind on the chores, it's not quite so disastrous.

3 Comments:

At 12:33 PM, Blogger Harlan said...

Lara:

Thanks for the 'note' in your post on the 30th. I have linked you back just so that no good deed goes unpunished.

You have a a very tasty journal, I'll be a regular reader from now on.

Regards.
editor, the Green Cutting Board

 
At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Banyan Productions, (the producers of Trading Spaces, Epicurious, Birth Day, and Ambush Makeover), just released a new video that has a ton of great recipes that you can get to the table in 15 minutes or less. They’ve got some of them running on Comcast’s On Demand service (which is how I found out about it) and have a 2 DVD set that you can buy. Here’s a link to their website with more info www.15andDone.com

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Sue said...

I have a lovely stainless steel compost bucket that sits on my kitchen counter. We take it out whenever it fills up, which is usually once a week or so. The lid prevents the smell from escaping, and the stainless steel means that you can just pop it in the dishwasher after emptying it. It's a beautiful thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home