cheap veggie gourmet

A blog detailing ways to enjoy a gourmet vegetarian diet on the cheap. Check out recipes, food stories, tips and techniques.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Southern Fried

Finally back! I'm just about settled into the new house and really enjoying it here.

I went help cook for St. Pete's Food Not Bombs picnic Friday night. While I was there, I got to talking with a real foodie. He fed me the best biscuits and gravy I'd ever had, vegetarian or no. He was also kind enough to lend me the book the recipe came from, Heart of the Home by Ann Jackson. It's a book of vegetarian, dairy free southern meals.

I tried my first recipe from it last night, "Fried Chicken Tofu." I've made a few changes to her recipe, starting with the name, and moving onto some of the details, such as pressing the tofu before cooking, and frying in about a half inch of canola oil, rather than a light coating of olive oil. Mine is:

Chicken Fried Tofu

Slice a pound of firm tofu into four equal pieces. Press for about an hour to remove excess liquid. Heat cooking oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. I like my No. 10 Griswold for this. Dredge the tofu in a mixture of nutritional yeast and sesame seeds. Drop in the frying pan and sprinkle lightly with soy sauce. Fry for about 15 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.

I served it with mashed potatoes and

my favorite cheap and easy coleslaw:

Shred a couple of cups of cabbage and a carrot or two. Sprinkle with a couple teaspoons of sugar. Add a couple of tablespoons of plain yogurt and a little bit of cider vinegar. Grind black pepper over all and stir.

In the unlikely event of leftovers, I suggest:


Reubenesque

Cut leftover tofu into strips, and place on a slice of rye. Grate sharp cheese over the top & toast a bit. Spoon on some coleslaw, and top with another slice of rye slathered with some good deli-style mustard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home